PMD scans Java source code and looks for potential problems like:
- Possible bugs - empty try/catch/finally/switch statements
- Dead code - unused local variables, parameters and private methods
- Suboptimal code - wasteful String/StringBuffer usage
- Overcomplicated expressions - unnecessary if statements, for loops that could be while loops
- Duplicate code - copied/pasted code means copied/pasted bugs
You can download everything from here, and you can get an overview of all the rules at the rulesets index page.
PMD is integrated with JDeveloper, Eclipse, JEdit, JBuilder, BlueJ, CodeGuide, NetBeans/Sun Java Studio Enterprise/Creator, IntelliJ IDEA, TextPad, Maven, Ant, Gel, JCreator, and Emacs.
- 2008-10-12 PMD 4.2.4: bug fixes (Changelog)
- 2008-08-31 PMD 4.2.3: yet more bug fixes (Changelog)
- 2008-05-20 PMD 4.2.2: more bug fixes on the 4.2 branch (Changelog)
- 2008-04-11 PMD 4.2.1: bug fixes (Changelog)
The refactoring effort that will lead to PMD 5.0 has been
started on the main trunk (5.0 will not be backward compatible
with PMD 4.x). We may release other 4.2.x versions with
minor fixes if needed until 5.0 is released.
A snapshot of the web site for the new version is generated daily by our continous integration server. Early access versions can also be downloaded from there.