Similar to PMD
- Checkstyle - Very detailed, supports both Maven and Ant. Uses ANTLR.
- DoctorJ - Uses JavaCC. Checks Javadoc, syntax and calculates metrics.
- ESC/Java - Finds null dereference errors, array bounds errors, type cast errors, and race conditions. Uses Java Modeling Language annotations.
- FindBugs - works on bytecode, uses BCEL. Source code uses templates, nifty stuff!
- Hammurapi - Uses ANTLR, excellent documentation, lots of rules
- Jamit - bytecode analyzer, nice graphs
- JCSC - Does a variety of coding standard checks, uses JavaCC and the GNU Regexp package.
- Jikes - More than a compiler; now it reports code warnings too
- JLint - Written in C++. Uses data flow analysis and a lock graph to do lots of synchronization checks. Operates on class files, not source code.
- JPathFinder - A verification VM written by NASA; supports a subset of the Java packages
- JWiz - Research project, checks some neat stuff, like if you create a Button without adding an ActionListener to it. Neat.
- AppPerfect - 220 rules, produces PDF/Excel reports, std version is free, professional version $500 and includes auto-fixing problems
- Assent - The usual stuff, seems pretty complete.
- Aubjex - Rules aren't listed online. Appears to have some code modification stuff, which would be cool to have in PMD. $299.
- AzoJavaChecker - Rules aren't listed online so it's hard to tell what they have. Not sure how much it costs since I don't know German.
- CodePro AnalytiX - $1,299, Eclipse plug-in, extensive audit rules, JUnit test generation/editing, code coverage and analysis
- Enerjy Java Code Analyser - 200 rules, lots of IDE plugins
- Flaw Detector - In beta, does control/data flow analysis to detect NullPointerExceptions
- JStyle - $995, nice folks, lots of metrics and rules
- JTest - Very nice with tons of features,
but also very expensive and requires a running X server (or Xvfb) to run on
Linux. They charge $500 to move a license from one machine to another.
- Lint4J - Lock graph, DFA, and type analysis, many EJB checks
Similar to CPD
- Simian - fast, works with Java, C#, C, CPP, COBOL, JSP, HTML
- Simscan - free for open source projects
High level reporting
- XRadar - Agregates data from a lot of code quality tool to generate a full quality dashboard.
- Sonar - Pretty much like XRadar, but younger project, fully integrated to maven 2 (but requires a database)
- Maven Dashboard - Same kind of agregator but only for maven project.
- QALab - Yet another maven plugin...